How to Face an Uncertain Future

Posted October 11th, 2008 by Kent and filed in Devotional
Tags:
6 Comments

top.jpg
by Rick Warren

Do not boast about [what you’re going to do] tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth. Proverbs 27:1 (NIV)

*** *** *** ***

The Bible offers three timeless principles for facing an uncertain future:

1. Let God set your goals. It’s foolish to make any plans without first consulting God. He’s the only one who does know the future, and he’s eager to guide you through it. The Bible says “We may make our plans, but God has the last word” (Proverbs 16:1 GNT). In other words, planning without praying is presumption. Start by praying, “God, what do you want me to do?”

2. Live one day at a time. While you can plan for tomorrow, you can’t live tomorrow until it arrives. Most people spend so much time regretting the past and worrying about the future, they have no time for today! Commit to making the most of each moment of each day. Jesus said, “Don’t be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of your tomorrow too. Live one day at a time” (Matthew 6:34 LB).

3. Don’t procrastinate. Procrastinating is a subtle trap. It wastes today by postponing things until tomorrow. You promise yourself that you’ll do it “one of these days,” but then “one of these days” turns into “none of these days.” The Bible says, “Do not boast about [what you’re going to do] tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth” (Proverbs 27:1 NIV). What have you planned to do that you haven’t done yet? When do you intend to start working on it?

6 Responses to “How to Face an Uncertain Future”

1. BH says:

Just what I needed to read today!

2. Gina says:

God truly spoke to me through this weekend’s devotional, I have wrestled with plans for far too long. He told me through this message to let go and let God and that is what I am going to do. I need to continue to draw on my favorite scripture Jeremiah 29:11. God’s promises are sealed throughout the bible, but they are especially clear to me in that particular passage. Be blessed.

3. Charity says:

I am trully blessed by this… I will let God guide me through my thoughts and plans after knowing that I cannot do it on my own.

God bless!

4. Cheryl says:

God has provided for us adequately all our lives but these past few years have seen an abundance from God. Now I am wondering if it will be there when we retire in a few years. But I have decided that God knows best and whatever the future holds, He will continue to take care of us and provide for our needs.

5. renata says:

i am glad to see this message, i am at a point in my life where our family is about to make a life changing decision, i thought where i am now is where god wanted me to be, but feel deep within me unrest and that i have to move back to the place i came from.

6. karina amboy says:

this is inspiring.thank you..