How to Develop Self-Discipline

Posted October 18th, 2008 by Kent and filed in Devotional
Tags:
19 Comments

top.jpg
by Rick Warren

God did not give us a spirit that makes us afraid but a spirit of power and love and self-control. 2 Timothy 1:7 (NCV)

*** *** *** ***

God wants you to develop a self-discipline that pushes you to do things, even as others are giving up.

Over the years, I’ve observed six key expressions of self-discipline:

People with self-discipline master their moods. They live by their commitments, not their emotions. People who do the right thing even when they don’t feel like it accomplish most of what gets done in the world! “A man without self-control is as defenseless as a city with broken-down walls” (Proverbs 25:28 LB).

People with self-discipline watch their words. They put their minds in gear before opening their mouths. “He who guards his lips guards his life” (Proverbs 13:3 NIV).

People with self-discipline restrain their reactions. How much can you take before you lose your cool? “If you are sensible, you will control your temper. When someone wrongs you, it is a great virtue to ignore it” (Proverbs 19:11 GNT).

People with self-discipline stick to their schedule. If you don’t determine how you will spend your time you can be sure that others will decide for you! “Live life, then, with a due sense of responsibility … Make the best use of your time” (Ephesians 5:15–16 PH).

People with self-discipline manage their money. They learn to live on less than what they make and they invest the difference. The value of a budget is that it tells your money where you want it to go rather than wondering where it went! “The wise man saves for the future, but the foolish man spends whatever he gets” (Proverbs 21:20 LB).

People with self-discipline maintain their health. That way they can accomplish more and enjoy their achievements. “Every one of you should learn to control his body, keeping it pure and treating it with respect” (1 Thessalonians 4:4 PH).

The disciplines you establish today will determine your success tomorrow. But it takes more than just willpower for lasting self-discipline. It takes a power greater than yourself: “God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power and love and self-control” (2 Timothy 1:7 NLT/NCV).

The more I accept God’s control over my life, the more self-control he gives me!

19 Responses to “How to Develop Self-Discipline”

1. Diana Miller says:

Great…just what I needed to hear!
    Diana

2. Elaine says:

God is so amazing….part of this discipline is our time with him, the more I pray the better results I see in my life.

3. Toni says:

This website is really inspirational. I haven’t subscribed to it very long but I just can’t wait to open my e-mail and see what the word for the day is. I am a very troubled but yet blessed person and I can admit I bring my troubles on myself. Self discipline is something I definately lack, as with most people who’s life is not going as smoothly as it could. My problems are minimum except the one’s I bring on myself. Reading others testimonies and the daily scriptures though is really helping me to realize though that I am the only one that can try and control my own life and get on track. I just wanted to say thank you for this website. It’s easy to understand and something I WANT to share with my family. THANKS

4. Joey says:

The above statement is so very true. God has full control over our lives already, and we are already 100% dependant on Him. What changes in our lives is when we finally realize these things and willingly give control of our lives over to Him.

5. gwenshana says:

That was a great weekend devotional. It was exactly what I needed to hear. This weekend, I allowed my emotions and rage to grow and I reacted with little thought or prayer, I should have turned to God for strength and discipline.

6. Valerie says:

Thank you for such a powerful, inspiring and excellent article! Looking at I Timothy 1:7 this way definitely sheds new light on becoming self-disciplined. This article has helped me tremendously in my quest to (with the help of the Lord) give up some of the pleasures (like too much television) and do those things that I know I need to do, but don’t really want to do or feel like doing. Thank you and God bless you!

7. Joanne says:

Self-discipline.
    Why is it that something so good can feel so bad!
    But thanks be to God that we are being changed from glory to glory, and everyday we are getting stronger in making that flesh obey.

My biggest obstacle was not so much the lack of self discipline but the condemnation I would put myself under when I fell short. Where there was one, the other was soon to follow.

But God is good,and He is amazingly faithful.
    I have been able to walk out of condemnation, even if self control will be an on-going project.

I have a blog where I share my journey, you are more than welcome to read, share, and I hope, be encouraged..

8. Milton says:

This was right on time for me. I will use this as an outline for a sermon series

9. Gloria says:

Thank You! this is something I always has struggle with, NOW,in GOD & through your book I Pray that I can learn really how to disciplin my flesh.

10. Roger says:

Self control is a process. My goal for 2011 is to exercise self control with my tongue and desires that are not productive to my spiritual life style.

11. Melissa says:

Discipline is my focus at the moment….balancing the priorities of life with time spent with God is difficult. This was a great message….just let go and let God and He will do the res. Thank you Jesus.

12. i would like to know how to develop self discipline

Thanks

13. Naphtali Fordjour says:

God i need self discipline. My strength has failed me constantly. JESUS PLEASE COME AND TAKE THE WHEEL FOR I AM NOT ROAD WORTHY ANYMORE

14. evelyn says:

dear Lord,

please grant me self-discipline

15. honey dhoot says:

please discipline me kindly lord in your most clever ways. i need it desperateley in my life, at 34 i have no job qualifications, friends, close family and am phing love away and i dont know why. pls pls help now urgently thankyou.

16. GLADYS COTHRAN says:

I FIND SELF DISCIPLINE TO BE ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TRAITS TO DEVELOP…WHATEVER WE ARE INVOLVED IN…SELF DISCIPLINE IS THE KEY TO OVERCOMING STRENGTHS WE DESIRE BUT LACK…
    THERE COMES A TIME WHEN WE REALIZE WE DON’T ALWAYS HAVE SOMEONE REMINDING US OF HOW TO LIVE..MOST OF THE TIME WE KNOW, BUT WITHOUT SELF DISCIPLINE WE TEND TO SHRUG IT OFF..NOT DO IT…AND THEN WHINE WHEN WE FALL TO OUR KNEES…

17. […] was reading a blog by Rick Warren (I know, what’s happening to me. I’m embracing the “popular Christian” and […]

18. Utelene Nugent says:

Thank you very much for this article on self-discipline. It is of tremendous value to me. You see, I am easily riled up, have a short fuse,and when I lose my temper I tend to shout.

My earnest desire is that in praying more about acquiring this particular fruit of the spirit, that God will grant self-control.

Please pray for me.

Blessings and Peace always!